Sunday, September 11, 2011

August 31, 2011




Day 2: The Climb up Middle Teton


Grant with rope to help me across the first snow field
Victory after rock climbing around third huge snow field
(Yes, I would rather rock climb than climb a steep snow field)
This easy class III hike has now become a class V climb

Me crossing a much smaller, less steep snow field, number 4 or 5?

Icefloe lake, looking down from the Saddle of Middle Teton

Melt-down rock.  "I can't f*ing do any more snow fields or bouldering.
This was supposed to be a day hike/walk to the god damn summit!"


This is as far as I made it.  The clouds were rolling in, and after having woken up to a lightening storm, we just couldn't risk getting stuck above the tree line if another round of lightning started.  I was within 1000' of the summit (we made it to about 12,000'), and probably am the first person to actually NOT summit Middle Teton upon attempt :(  Then again, most years there aren't snow fields requiring practical knowledge of an ice axe to summit (I don't have those skills.)  Stupid snow year.  This had been my goal for the past year, and I failed.
 I'll just have to do it at 31.

No comments:

Post a Comment